Friday, November 30, 2012

Thoughts on my children and the fact they insist on growing up


* I am living with 2 pre-teens right now.  The hormones in this house are becoming super high.  This is super fun! (That statement may or may not be full of sarcasm).

* My oldest son is 12.  He has a mustache that he should be shaving (no joke, it is thick and dark and he is TWELVE!).  I have been bleaching it, because I just can't handle the fact that my TWELVE year old needs to shave.  (He is going to be super embarrassed about this.  I suppose that is paybacks for embarrassing me at the restaurant we went to last night for dinner.  Let's just say that kid is loud and goofy, and loves to torment his sister).

* I work at the same school as my youngest son.  The other day in the hall I saw him and gave him a hug.  When he got home that day he informed me that that was super embarrassing.  Then he informed me that he doesn't want to hold my hand anymore.  He is my "baby" so that means I am done holding my kids hands.  This makes my heart hurt a little (who am I kidding, a LOT).  I love holding my kids little hand in mine.

* Gavin wants to grow his hair out.  I was really hoping this style would be out of style before my kids started caring about their hair style. (How many times can I say the word style in one sentence?)

* I love the fact that when my kids can't find an item of clothing it is because it is in the dirty laundry and I haven't washed it yet (making it my problem).  It couldn't possibly be crumpled up and forgotten at bottom of their dirty closet (making it their problem).

* I am learning that as kids get older more and more things get blamed on the Mom.

*  My kids want electronics this year for Christmas.  I honestly haven't even gone down the toy isle.  I miss the days when 50 bucks would buy a lot of big fun toys to put under the tree.  Now only small expensive items find their way under it.  I miss buying toys.  (Though my husband still loves Legos, so I can still go through the toy isle for him.  Thanks for that Brett!)

*  Alec turned 8 this year.  That means he doesn't need a booster seat.  It was a surreal moment to take his booster seat out of the car.  There was a point in my life when I was strapping 3 kids in and out of carseats!  To have it be over was a very exciting moment.

* I am wondering when boys start caring about hygiene?  Gavin says he is too tired to wash his hair and body in the shower.  He just sits there under the hot water for 10 minutes in the morning.  He "forgets" to put on deodorant and brush his teeth.  He could care less when we tell him he stinks.  And telling him that the girl he has a crush on won't like him back because he stinks, doesn't deter him.  When do they start to actually care? (My daughter on the other hand is fully aware about hygiene and she smells good always, so I am thinking it is a boy thing).

* Gavin is 5' 6".  Have I mentioned he is TWELVE!  That kid is almost as tall as me, and he is TWELVE!  At this rate he is going to be 100 feet tall!

* My kids being older is good in some ways (they can make their own breakfast, lunch, and dinner if needed, I don't have to find a babysitter anymore, the whole carseat thing, etc.)  and bad in some ways (no holding hands, and bleaching mustaches, etc).  But it is inevitable, and they will get even bigger.  Just wish they would slow down a bit.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We want to see the moustach.
~TraciFree