I knew then that my blog would be a lot less interesting and very sporadic.
I saw this post on pinterest the other day. http://www.homesanctuary.com/rachelanne/2014/02/dear-lonely-mom-of-older-kids.html. It clearly explains what I am experiencing in life right now.
" And so much of it....you just can't talk about.
Because you suddenly realize that these kids are people.
People with feelings and emotions. And you can't go around blogging about their mean math teacher or their failed attempt at choir auditions. These are things that are too precious, too priceless, too soul-baring, too hard to share. They need you to be their safe place. They need you to keep their secrets. They need you to pick up pimple concealer at CVS and not breathe a word to anyone. They are so easily embarrassed and you must do your part to help them get through it."
My kids are older. They are aware of what I say about them and what I share about them. They are self-conscience and don't want me to take their picture anymore. Their problems and struggles are bigger, not really sharable and not very cute.
I am sad about this in many ways. I like writing this blog. I like making it into a book every year and looking back at it. I miss my little kids and their little kid words, antics, and problems.
Gavin will be 14 in a couple of weeks. 2 years from driving and dating. 4 years from graduation and becoming an adult. 4 years! You know how fast 4 years goes by!
I overheard a mom at WalMart today talk about her babies first teeth coming in. She said something about how her front teeth are not coming in, but her side teeth are, so she looks like she has fangs.
That same thing happened with one of my kids. I think it was Alec. I can't really remember. I do remember though that at the time it was a big thing on my mind. It was cute and funny and something to talk about. There comes a time in your kids life that their experiences (i.e. growing a mustache at 12 years old) is not cute and funny and something to talk about. They are embarrassed and don't want their parents talking about them.
Those little days are priceless. They go by too fast. Your small children are big children before you know it. And life as a parent continues to be challenging, in different ways.



1 comment:
Each stage has its specialness that will never come again. That's why we cry over each stage in our own way. Some are a LOT harder to let go of! HUGS!! It's not a comfort, but this "less interesting to other stage" is just preparing you for the final good-bye (sob!) You're a good mom, at every stage!!!
Post a Comment