Friday, June 6, 2014

Random Musings about the start of summer

Summer is here.  We have been out of school for almost one whole week.  As a teacher I was ready for summer.  As a mother I am never really ready for summer.  Our family thrives on structure.  Summer has very little structure and it takes a few weeks to get into our summer groove.  So far this week has just been very low key.  Next week I need to get on the ball with summer chores and homework and other fun stuff.

I am a teacher.  I make my kids do homework in the summer.  It really helps with their retention.  I know I am the meanest mom on the planet.

I decided to do a different job at my school next year.  I am still coming to terms with this.  I will write a post about the details on a different day.

I am training for my 4th triathlon this summer.  Not sure why I do this.  Every year I say I am going to be smaller, train harder, and actually be good at it.  Every year I am heavy, not ready, and just barely make it.  I guess I like it enough to keep trying.  Maybe someday I might actually be good at it.

Brynn auditioned and got into the "Wizard of Oz" musical.  She is going to be a flying monkey.  I keep telling her that is the best part of the "Wizard of Oz!"  She is excited and is going to be busy for a lot of the summer.  She also has a babysitting job 2 days a week.

When did my kids get to be the babysitters and not the babysittees?

Gavin all of the sudden got very interested in basketball.  He really wants to try out for the Freshman team next year (yes my little boy will be a Freshman next year...let's not talk about it).  He is going to a basketball camp this week and plays in our yard a few hours a day.  He also is now hanging out with friends a lot and texting girls.  This dynamic is freaking me out just a bit.

Alec is my only kid without an agenda this summer.  It might just be me and him going to summer kid movies, and the swimming pool.

Our basement flooded last year and I still have not put my basement fully back together.  That is one of my goals this summer.  Another goal is to get this blog up to date.  We shall see how it all goes.

First snow cones of the summer!  (This picture has many lighting problems.  Alec is glowing just a bit.  As a photographer it is driving me crazy.  I used my cell phone though.  I don't like my cell phone camera.  I need to carry my good camera with me more often it looks like.) 

1 comment:

Kimberlee said...

I make my kids do homework in the summer too. I think I actually got the idea from you years ago. In fact we just got our new workbooks today! I’m excited to hear about your new job. And we would love to come down for Bryn’s performance…when is it?