Wednesday, February 3, 2010

swearing

As parents sometimes you say things that your kids pick up. Sometimes you don't realize what you are saying until your kids repeat it.

Every once in awhile a couple of certain swear words leave our mouths (usually when injury or something breaks), (Oh and I am not a perfect parent, and yes sometimes I accidentally swear in front of my kids).

Gavin and Brynn have not ever repeated any swear words their parents might say. This is a relief.

However, the other day Alec was dancing around saying "Dang it, Dang it (the swear word equivalent)." I told him that was a bad word that we shouldn't say.

He said, "How could it be bad? Dad says it!"

Don't you love it when you kids call you on things, especially the naughty things?

****P.S*** Brett couldn't believe I "outed" him on this blog. I did it because it was funny and I realized I didn't explain why this was funny. Brett hardly ever swears and I don't think I have ever even heard him say "Dang it." It is funny he was called on it because I honestly don't think Alec heard that word from him.

4 comments:

Mikey, Anna, Lillie and Sam said...

I have tried really hard not to say things I don't want to hear come out of my two year old's mouth. I am not proud of it but a few days ago, after a few hours of tantrums, I said "Will you just shut up." I don't ever really remember saying this in front of her, but ever since she will say "shut up mommy." I've talked to her several times about this and told her she can shush or say be quit. She will still say "shut up" but then she corrects herself. I feel so embarrassed I ever said that and it probably wasn't the first time.

Kimberlee said...

But on the bright side...your valentines header is lovely!

sherry said...

Why is it they always pick up real fast on what you don't want them to:)

sarah louise said...

Anna--that one is hard. Every once in a while shut up comes out of my mouth too. My kids picked up on that really fast and then I constantly tell them to say "be quiet" instead. They just start getting better and then they start school and everyone else out in the world says it and they continue to pick it up and say it. Shut-up is a never ending battle. Don't beat yourself up over it, a lot of us let things slip out!