Friday, August 13, 2010

Friday the Thirteenth

The last Friday the Thirteenth in August was 6 years ago. I remember it very well. I was in labor with Alec. (Actually I was in labor with Alec for 4 months before this, but my doctor finally took pity on me and stopped stopping my labor and broke my water on the 13th).

We weren't very happy with having a baby on Friday the 13th. It became apparent as my labor kept moving on very fast that we would have a Friday the 13th baby. We decided that someday he would think it was an awesome date to be born on and that we could have some fun Friday the 13th birthday parties when he was older.

Alec was born at 12:02 on the 14th!!! He missed it by 2 minutes

This was mostly because he had the cord wrapped very tightly around his neck twice and they couldn't get him out. He was stuck. They had to cut his cord before he was delivered and then try and get him out as fast as possible because his life line was gone. His shoulders were stuck and the nurse had to sit on my stomach to help push him out. They finally got him out and he wasn't breathing. He had an Apgar score of 4 and we thought we had lost him. After a couple of very frantic and horrible minutes they got him breathing again. And after a couple of hours in the NICU they released him without any problems. We realize how lucky we really are to still have him with us.

Happy Birthday our little boy!

2 comments:

Melissa Hernandez said...

What an amazing story! Happy B-Day!

Kimberlee said...

Happy Happy Birthday to Alec. Sorry we didn't get birthday wishes sent his way on his actual birthday. I did remember and I did think of him though.

XOXO Kim