Q: What do you get when you cross a kid who is annoyed with his little brother, throwing a pencil, and a lot of bad luck?
A: A little boy who needs emergency eye surgery.
Last night Alec got hit in the eye with a pencil. Somehow it cut his eye. His pupil was no longer round. It was upside down tear shaped. It was the weirdest thing. It looked like a cat eye. There was a raised brown spot on the bottom of the tear drop.
I took him to the emergency room. They sedated him and tried to remove the raised brown spot. They determined it wasn't a foreign body, but part of his eye. They then had me go to another Hospital where an Optomatologist was waiting. He took one look at it and said we needed to do surgery right then. Keep in mind this was 11:00 at night.
They prepped him and took him to surgery around midnight. Two hours later the doctor came and told us that the raised brown spot was actually part of his iris (the color part of the eye). His eye had been sliced and part of his iris was leaking out. I had no idea that could happen!
The doctor was able to stitch the iris back in. How he described doing it was scary. The iris is very delicate and it took very precise stitches to put it back.
He doctor is still not sure how this will turn out. So far so good. He is seeing him every day to assess the swelling. If it swells too much it could push the iris back out. He could also get an infection, and may need a another surgery.
He is now wearing a clear eye guard, can't go to school, and can't be stressed or get upset. It could take up to 8 weeks to fully recover.
Also his iris will be deformed for life. We won't know how it will look until after it heals completely.
All this because of one little accident. It blows my mind how fast life can change. I am very grateful for modern technology. The doctor said if he didn't put the iris in immediately it could die and then the eye would be damaged for life.
We are crossing our fingers and toes that it all continues to go well, and his eye will be normal again.

5 comments:
Our prayers are with you.
Oh my heck Sarah. I read that twice just to make sure I understood correctly. Alec is in our prayers. What can we do to help? XOXO
I am so sorry Sarah! I will be thinking and praying for your little guy!
Oh Sarah! I'm so sorry. Please let me know if I can help you. Alec is in my prayers.
Thanks for the update Sarah. We were very worried about hiim! Kids are crazy resiliant.
Post a Comment