Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Big Bites

Alec is our picky non-eater at our house. After years of trying and bribing and other stuff (yeah sometimes I threaten no cookies) we have finally gotten him to eat at least a few bites of everything on his plate.
One of the ways we were able to pull this off was playing to his strengths. Alec has some OCD in him. He likes to count things and put numbers on things. So in order to get him to eat we always tell him a number of bites he has to take. He hardly ever eats anything (besides candy and cookies) without asking us how many bites he has to take. And usually what ever amount we say he will do it.
Well he doesn't love potatoes. We had mashed potatoes the other day. He asked how many bites he had to take. I told him 5 BIG bites. A couple of seconds later I look over at him and he has a tiny piece of potato on his fork and his mouth is open as wide as it can go.

Mom: "Alec a big bite means a lot of potatoes, not opening your mouth to take a big bite."
Alec: "Mom that is what a big bite is!"

He was not happy with me when I showed him how much potatoes actually need to be on your fork to make a big bite. It was a funny moment though!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, specifics. I'm with him. "Big bite" means to open you mouth wider, NOT putting more food in your mouth. Duh.

Hmmmm...mashed potatoes. I'm hungry. Lets eat.

Anonymous said...

Charlotte does the same thing! At dinner she's always saying, "Mom, COUNT!", like she's incapable of eating without me holding up four fingers.

Ang said...

That's funny.

I like Alec's OCD behaviors. I especially like how he doesn't step on the cracks as he's walking - fits well with my OCD.

sarah louise said...

Yeah taking him to A & W is a nightmare because they have two different colors of tile on the floor. He can only step on one color and will push people out of the way in order to avoid stepping on the other color.

Kimberlee said...

The kid has a point. His definition defines "big bite" much better.