For years I would get after Brett to take us camping. He is not a camper, and it was a sore spot with me. Camping sounds so fun and people do it all the time. We finally went camping for the first time last year and guess what...I hated it. I like nature, I just don't like living in it.
I have OCD about dirt. I don't really care about the germs, just being dirty. Being dirty gives me anxiety. I can't stand my kids being dirty and I don't like being dirty. Guess what...you get so very dirty while you are camping.
Not only that but you have to put up your own shelter, and make food without a kitchen, and pee into a big hole with a toilet seat on it. Plus the extra worry about kids falling into the river, and/or fire. Camping is so much work!
This weekend we went camping with Matt, Traci, and Charlotte. We were only going for one night. I can handle camping for one night.
Guess what...it rained on us while we putting up our tents. We got drenched. Then it down poured on us while we were taking down our tent. Everything was soaked, chairs, blankets, air mattresses, clothes, food, everything. We shoved the soaked things into the van and drove the 4 hours home, soaked to the bone. Then we had to pull out and dry everything when we got home. What a production that was.
Also while camping I got up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom. When I opened the door there was a MOUSE! If you know me you know that mice and bats are my fear. I couldn't go into the bathroom after that. I went in the bushes instead. Then I had nightmares about mice all night.
I was wondering if it was even worth it. Then I remembered the good things:
ROASTING MARSHMALLOWS

BEING TOGETHER
HAVING A GOOD LAUGH WHEN BRETT FELL IN THE CREEK WHILE PUSHING THE KIDS ON THE SWING. (THESE ARE THE ONLY SHOES HE BROUGHT).
SWINGING ACROSS THE CREEK 
UNCLE MATT MAKING ALEC A FISHING ROD WITH A STICK, SOME ROPE, AND A PAPER CLIP, AFTER ALEC WAS SAD BECAUSE HE COULDN'T CATCH FISH WITH HIS HANDS.
LOUNGING AROUND



7 comments:
Sarah, It does not sound like you had a very good time!! Darrel and I are going this weekend with his brother and sister-in-law and I am really looking forward to it. My biggest fears are snakes and mice, sure hope I don't run into eiether one!! (That just might be the end of my camping)...
Love, your aunt Sherry
I have to laugh at the OCD with being dirty. I am the same way! When we go camping it has to be at a campground with showers and toilets. That is really my only stipulation! Loved the pictures.
When me and the kids went camping (Matt was farming part of the time) a couple weekends ago I realized that I do not like mice either. We have a wall tent with a wood stove in it. Well, it is nice and warm and I got up to put more wood in the stove. Well, we have a port-a-potty in the corner of the tent and a mouse would get some tp and then run under the kids cots and then come back for more. I chased it with the broom and layed awake for two hours making sure that it was gone. When we packed to go there was the makings of a nest under all the bags.
So, I am sorry you do not love camping. I love it! Even if everyone is dirty and wet.
So much fun! Uncle McGyver sure saved the day with that fishing pole. Thanks again for the laughs.
Don't you just love the great outdoors!!!
The mouse might have done me in as well. But I can promise you one thing...I DEFINITELY would not have been going in the bushes after I saw a mouse. You're much braver than I!
Kim it was either that or pee my pants! I did go to a bush far away from the bathroom and the mouse.
Post a Comment