Monday, September 14, 2009

Deep Thoughts by Sarah #1


I was invited by one of my friends to go the park with some of the people in my neighborhood. I went after picking up Alec from school. Most of the moms there had preschoolers and infants. As they talked about what infant formula they use, napping, weaning, potty training, etc, I realized I can't really relate to these moms much any more.


I don't have babies or preschoolers anymore. My biggest problems are not about diapers or spit-up, or finding the binky that fell down somewhere while you are driving anymore. As I listened to these mothers I remember thinking those things were so hard about having kids. Boy was I niave! Those are some of the easy things about having kids now that my kids are getting older and their problems are getting bigger. I am sure if I talked to someone with teen-agers they would think I was very niave about what is to come. I am sure someday that I will look back at my kids problems now and realize they weren't that bad compared.


So I realize I am in a different stage in my life. My kids don't need me physically so much anymore. They can get their own drinks and even their own lunch if they are so inclined. They take their own showers, and use the bathroom by themselves. They run around the block with their friends and can ride their bikes to scouts and piano without me. And they can buckle their seat belts all by themselves! They are starting to have problems with friends and need someone to talk to. These are all good things, just different things.


No more playing with my kids while they are taking their baths, or rocking my small babies to sleep, or walking around the block with a baby or two in the stroller. No more spit up or naps. Change is always hard for me. It is hard for me to let my babies go. I am now in the Tween stage, between babies and teenagers.


Sometimes I wish my kids would just stop growing right now. They are at good ages. Not too much drama, and a lot more independent. (But I do miss my babies sometimes).

6 comments:

tracifree said...

So many good things about the stage your kids are in. Sleeping in on a Sunday anyone? Love your guts!

sherry said...

The stage you are in right now is good, but you will find as they get older that everything is just as good, only in a different way!! Love, your Aunt Sherry

Kimberlee said...

Oh my goodness...look at that picture. They are absoluetly adorable. Breathtaking even.

Jen said...

1) I love the picture- so cute!
2) I also hate change- having a daughter in high school is freaking me out.
3) I am wondering, is there a deep thoughts part #2 coming???

KyAnn (like Cayenne Pepper, only HOTTER) said...

Enjoy your kids in the starge they are in today. And enjoy yourself in the stage you are in today. After all, today is the youngest you are ever going to be..... :-) Love ya!

Lori England said...

Oh I love that my kids are 7 and 5 but also miss so much the babies! But, I am so very lucky to own a daycare and can go kiss on babies all I want. It is hard to see that the grass you are standing on is just as green as it is across the fence.