Friday, September 18, 2009

Look What I Can Do!


We have been trying to teach Alec to ride a bike all summer. It scared him too much and he was just content to ride his scooter. Even with all the little boys in the neighborhood riding without training wheels, he didn't have any desire to learn.

The other day he and Brynn decided to go around the block with Brynn on her bike and Alec on his scooter. Alec came home crying because he couldn't keep up with Brynn. I told him that he needed to learn how to ride a bike if he wanted to keep up with people on bikes.

To my surprise he said, "I want to learn right now." We went out and took his training wheels off (with all intentions of putting them back on when he gave up). I held his shirt in the back to keep him steady and within 20 minutes he was riding all by himself! I couldn't believe it.
I have learned with learning to ride a bike that the child has to have a desire. Once they have a desire they take off.
We are very proud of Alec!

5 comments:

Ang said...

Wahoo! I can't believe it had to be his idea - that's so not like Alec!

Lori England said...

How fun! I did not even learn how to ride a bike till i was 12

sherry said...

Way to go Alec!! Bet he has no trouble keeping up now!

Kimberlee said...

Woot, woot!

tracifree said...

Way to go Alec!