Monday, September 29, 2008

Sitting still is impossible

Every Monday I take Alec to the preschool storytime at the library. He has a hard time keeping his hands to himself, sitting still, and being nice to others. We are working on his behavior and I lay out the expectations before we leave every week:

Mom: "Alec these are the things I expect from you when we are at the library. Keep your hands to yourself, don't hit others with your mat that you sit on, keep your voice quiet, don't tell your friend that you don't like him, and please sit still and listen to the story.

Alec: (after a few seconds of thinking about it) "Mom I think I can do all those things except the sitting still part. No matter how hard I try I can't sit still."

Mom: " You are right Alec, I forgot you were a little boy. It is impossible for little boys to sit still. How about you only wiggle a little bit and only on your mat?"

Alec: "Okay."

It really is impossible for little boys to sit still! I suppose this is an expectation I have to give up! (By the way he did hit someone with his mat and he did tell his friend he didn't like him. Is it just impossible for little boys to do anything you ask? I am starting to think so.)

6 comments:

Rebecca said...

That is why we love little boys! :)

Jen said...

If it makes you feel any better, he really does a pretty good job sitting still at preschool!

Woolf Family said...

It's not just little boys
Eva can't sit still or listen either love ya

Anonymous said...

Alec is great and I'm glad he comes! Also... I suspect the librarian could be doing a better job of keeping those cute little minds engaged! :-)

sarah louise said...

Karen I don't agree with that at all. You do an amazing job! He just has a lot of nervous energy at storytime for some reason. Besides all the other kids seem to pay attention!

Yolanda said...

You are preaching to the choir master here of little boys not listening to what we ask of them..lol