Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Kidspeak

I was reminded of a story from my childhood this morning. Gavin asked me when Brynn's Car-Cool was coming. I have told him many times that it is Carpool, but he still calls it Carcool. It makes me smile. All my kids say words that are a little off and they are so cute.

I remember when I was little I used to pronounce caterpillar as calli-pitter. Everyone who heard me would laugh and I didn't understand why. They would pronounce caterpillar to me and I would say, "That is what I said!"

As much as I want my kids to say the right words, I really don't want to change their made up words. They make me smile and are a fun part of childhood. They will eventually figure it out, just like I did (Though I had to look up in the dictionary how to spell caterpillar. Bad spelling I will probably never grow out of).

5 comments:

Jen said...

I love the things kids say. At our house spiderman is speederman and batman is fatman.

Anonymous said...

yea, i suck at spelling too my teacher said at PTC that i spell like a 4th grader. i was pretty sad. from, Madee (jens kid)

Lori England said...

Shay use to say girlir for girl. Until she spent the weekend with my mother in law and now she says girl. I was sad! So I am with you!

Mikey, Anna, Lillie and Sam said...

The spelling thing must come from mom none of us can spell. Some of those "kid" words I'm still figuring out I say weird. Like instead of Polish sausage I say polar sausage, everytime I just can't stop it before it comes out. Mikey always just smiles at me.

Rebecca said...

Kids say the darndest things. I love that.